librelist archives

« back to archive

Conkeror password management module

Conkeror password management module

From:
Matthys
Date:
2015-09-15 @ 01:37
Hi

Just wanted to start by saying thanks to the developers of Conkeror - I
recently discovered it and it is exactly the browser that I was looking for.

However, all of my sites are locked up in LastPass, and I really struggle
to use the Internet without it. I tried the suggested bookmarklet solution
but wasn't really happy with it (slow and couldn't get it to work with the
keyboard).

So this weekend I wrote a small module to integrate with the LastPass CLI
tool. This password management module allows for:
 - Logging into LastPass
 - Search LastPass for provided domain (C-t)
 - Allow for site selection if more than one match is found
 - Autofilling login and password fields (using values stored in LastPass)
 - Provides a shortcut key (C-j) to paste username and password into input
fields
 - Allows for generating new passwords and saving new entries in LastPass
database (C-x w)

I'm also planning to support pass (http://www.passwordstore.org) in the
future, if there is a demand. It should also be possible to support
KeePass, using their CLI interface, if anyone is interested in that.

Writing this module was a lot of fun, thanks to the great API (coroutines)
and documentation supplied by the Conkeror developers.

However, I'd love some feedback, especially any security concerns, as
Javascript is not my main speciality when it comes to programming.

Hopefully this module can also serve as another example of how to use the
Conkeror API.

Further instructions and download available here:
https://github.com/mjmeintjes/conkeror-password-manage

Regards
Matt Meintjes

Re: [conkeror] Conkeror password management module

From:
Haider Rizvi
Date:
2015-09-15 @ 04:22
Matt, looks very interesting. I don't use Lastpass, instead I have settled
on keepass. So if you are taking votes, please count one for keepass.

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 6:37 PM, Matthys <matthys@meintjes.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Just wanted to start by saying thanks to the developers of Conkeror - I
> recently discovered it and it is exactly the browser that I was looking for.
>
> However, all of my sites are locked up in LastPass, and I really struggle
> to use the Internet without it. I tried the suggested bookmarklet solution
> but wasn't really happy with it (slow and couldn't get it to work with the
> keyboard).
>
> So this weekend I wrote a small module to integrate with the LastPass CLI
> tool. This password management module allows for:
>  - Logging into LastPass
>  - Search LastPass for provided domain (C-t)
>  - Allow for site selection if more than one match is found
>  - Autofilling login and password fields (using values stored in LastPass)
>  - Provides a shortcut key (C-j) to paste username and password into input
> fields
>  - Allows for generating new passwords and saving new entries in LastPass
> database (C-x w)
>
> I'm also planning to support pass (http://www.passwordstore.org) in the
> future, if there is a demand. It should also be possible to support
> KeePass, using their CLI interface, if anyone is interested in that.
>
> Writing this module was a lot of fun, thanks to the great API (coroutines)
> and documentation supplied by the Conkeror developers.
>
> However, I'd love some feedback, especially any security concerns, as
> Javascript is not my main speciality when it comes to programming.
>
> Hopefully this module can also serve as another example of how to use the
> Conkeror API.
>
> Further instructions and download available here:
> https://github.com/mjmeintjes/conkeror-password-manage
>
> Regards
> Matt Meintjes
>
>
>


-- 
Regards,
-- 
Haider

Re: [conkeror] Conkeror password management module

From:
Sketch
Date:
2015-09-15 @ 13:30
On Mon, 14 Sep 2015, Haider Rizvi wrote:

> Matt, looks very interesting. I don't use Lastpass, instead I have settled
> on keepass. So if you are taking votes, please count one for keepass.

Another vote for keepass.  I always intended to try to hack something up 
with kpcli, but my javascript is limited...

Re: [conkeror] Conkeror password management module

From:
Renaud Casenave-Péré
Date:
2015-09-15 @ 07:44
Hi,

I myself would be interested in support for pass. I don't usually make requests
like this but it would be really great.


On mar., sept. 15 2015, Haider Rizvi wrote:

> Matt, looks very interesting. I don't use Lastpass, instead I have settled on
> keepass. So if you are taking votes, please count one for keepass.
>
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 6:37 PM, Matthys <matthys@meintjes.org> wrote:
>
>     
>     
>     
>     
>     
>     
>     
>     
>     
>     
>     
>     
>     Hi
>     
>     
>     Just wanted to start by saying thanks to the developers of Conkeror - I
>     recently discovered it and it is exactly the browser that I was looking for.
>     
>     
>     However, all of my sites are locked up in LastPass, and I really struggle to
>     use the Internet without it. I tried the suggested bookmarklet solution but
>     wasn't really happy with it (slow and couldn't get it to work with the
>     keyboard).
>     
>     
>     So this weekend I wrote a small module to integrate with the LastPass CLI
>     tool. This password management module allows for:
>     
>     - Logging into LastPass
>     
>     - Search LastPass for provided domain (C-t)
>     
>     - Allow for site selection if more than one match is found
>     
>     - Autofilling login and password fields (using values stored in LastPass)
>     
>     - Provides a shortcut key (C-j) to paste username and password into input
>     fields
>     
>     - Allows for generating new passwords and saving new entries in LastPass
>     database (C-x w)
>     
>     
>     I'm also planning to support pass (http://www.passwordstore.org) in the
>     future, if there is a demand. It should also be possible to support KeePass,
>     using their CLI interface, if anyone is interested in that.
>     
>     
>     
>     Writing this module was a lot of fun, thanks to the great API (coroutines)
>     and documentation supplied by the Conkeror developers. 
>     
>     However, I'd love some feedback, especially any security concerns, as
>     Javascript is not my main speciality when it comes to programming.
>     
>     
>     Hopefully this module can also serve as another example of how to use the
>     Conkeror API.
>     
>     
>     
>     Further instructions and download available here:
>     https://github.com/mjmeintjes/conkeror-password-manage
>     
>     
>     Regards
>     
>     Matt Meintjes
>     
>     
>     
>     
>     
>     
>
> -- 
> Regards, 

Re: [conkeror] Conkeror password management module

From:
Joren Van Onder
Date:
2015-09-15 @ 17:50
On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 9:44 AM, Renaud Casenave-Péré <
renaud@casenave-pere.fr> wrote:
> I myself would be interested in support for pass. I don't usually make
requests
> like this but it would be really great.

FWIW, basic integration of pass (and most password management tools) isn't
all that difficult with
Conkeror, as long as they provide a CLI interface. I used to use the
following to integrate pass:

interactive("run-pass-clipboard-on-current-domain",
    "Runs 'pass -c' on the current domain.",
    function (I) {
        var domain = I.buffer.document.domain;

        // filter possible 'www.'
        domain = domain.replace("www.", "");

        var result = yield shell_command_with_argument("pass -c", domain);

        if (result == 0) {
            I.buffer.window.minibuffer.message("Retrieved password for " +
domain + ".");
        } else {
            I.buffer.window.minibuffer.message("Failed to retrieve password
for " + domain + ".");
        }
    });
define_key(default_global_keymap, "C-c C-p",
"run-pass-clipboard-on-current-domain");

Of course it doesn't integrate eg. generating passwords, but that's
something I don't mind doing
outside of Conkeror.

Re: [conkeror] Conkeror password management module

From:
Renaud Casenave-Péré
Date:
2015-09-15 @ 19:07
On Tue, Sep 15 2015, Joren Van Onder wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 9:44 AM, Renaud Casenave-Péré 
<renaud@casenave-pere.fr> wrote:
>> I myself would be interested in support for pass. I don't usually make requests
>> like this but it would be really great.
>
> FWIW, basic integration of pass (and most password management tools) 
isn't all that difficult with
> Conkeror, as long as they provide a CLI interface. I used to use the 
following to integrate pass:
>
> [...]
>
> Of course it doesn't integrate eg. generating passwords, but that's 
something I don't mind doing
> outside of Conkeror.
>

Yes, I used to have something similar, copied/pasted from somewhere on the
Internet which just put the password in the clipboard.
But if Matt's solution could autofill forms and such, it would be awesome and so
that is why I voted for pass.

-- 
Renaud Casenave-Péré

Re: [conkeror] Conkeror password management module

From:
Benjamin Slade
Date:
2015-09-15 @ 20:07
I think support for pass and keepass would be great.

Matthys <matthys@meintjes.org> writes:

> Hi
>
> Just wanted to start by saying thanks to the developers of Conkeror - I
> recently discovered it and it is exactly the browser that I was looking for.
>
> However, all of my sites are locked up in LastPass, and I really struggle
> to use the Internet without it. I tried the suggested bookmarklet solution
> but wasn't really happy with it (slow and couldn't get it to work with the
> keyboard).
>
> So this weekend I wrote a small module to integrate with the LastPass CLI
> tool. This password management module allows for:
>  - Logging into LastPass
>  - Search LastPass for provided domain (C-t)
>  - Allow for site selection if more than one match is found
>  - Autofilling login and password fields (using values stored in LastPass)
>  - Provides a shortcut key (C-j) to paste username and password into input
> fields
>  - Allows for generating new passwords and saving new entries in LastPass
> database (C-x w)
>
> I'm also planning to support pass (http://www.passwordstore.org) in the
> future, if there is a demand. It should also be possible to support
> KeePass, using their CLI interface, if anyone is interested in that.
>
> Writing this module was a lot of fun, thanks to the great API (coroutines)
> and documentation supplied by the Conkeror developers.
>
> However, I'd love some feedback, especially any security concerns, as
> Javascript is not my main speciality when it comes to programming.
>
> Hopefully this module can also serve as another example of how to use the
> Conkeror API.
>
> Further instructions and download available here:
> https://github.com/mjmeintjes/conkeror-password-manage
>
> Regards
> Matt Meintjes

-- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dr Benjamin Slade
pgp fingerprint: 21BA 2AE1 28F6 DF36 110A 0E9C A320 BBE8 2B52 EE19
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{sent by mu4e on Emacs running under GNU/Linux}
(Choose Linux, Choose Freedom)