librelist archives

« back to archive

Re: Unit Testing,

Re: Unit Testing,

From:
Aaron Hill
Date:
2013-06-22 @ 15:31
Hello,

I noticed that there was a discussion about adding unit tests

here<http://librelist.com/browser//browserquest/2012/9/24/unit-tests/#44d5b0af7bd3be4a9bb4742f8a22f83a>
several
months back. I've found another popular unit testing framework called
Mocha<http://visionmedia.github.io/mocha/>,
whcih seems to be very popular. If you think Mocha looks good, I would be
interested in writing some unit tests.

--Aaron Hill

Re: [browserquest] Unit Testing,

From:
Justin Clift
Date:
2013-06-23 @ 06:00
On 22/06/2013, at 4:31 PM, Aaron Hill wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> I noticed that there was a discussion about adding unit tests here 
several months back. I've found another popular unit testing framework 
called Mocha, whcih seems to be very popular. If you think Mocha looks 
good, I would be interested in writing some unit tests.

Interesting, that's a pretty decent idea.

Do you reckon that could be made to work with Jenkins, and hopefully hooked
into GitHub's automated testing for Pull Requests?

Seeing some mention of things like this (not with GitHub though) from
initial searching:

  http://www.johnhamelink.com/testing-nodejs-with-jenkins

It's fairly obvious proper (automatic) unit testing is the way to go for
longer term good results. :)

If it can be made to work in with GitHub's automatic testing of pull
requests, that would be even better.  Not a deal breaker if it's not,
I'm just kind of hoping/wishing. :)

Any idea?

+ Justin

> --Aaron Hill

--
Open Source and Standards @ Red Hat

twitter.com/realjustinclift

Re: [browserquest] Unit Testing,

From:
Aaron Hill
Date:
2013-06-23 @ 10:54
Jenkins is able to use Github's service hooks, and I've seen several
plugins to allow it to test pull requests,
However, I think that Travis CI might be a better choice. It comes with out
of the box support for tesing pull requests, among other features, and has
the advantage of being hosted.


On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 2:00 AM, Justin Clift <jclift@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 22/06/2013, at 4:31 PM, Aaron Hill wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I noticed that there was a discussion about adding unit tests here
> several months back. I've found another popular unit testing framework
> called Mocha, whcih seems to be very popular. If you think Mocha looks
> good, I would be interested in writing some unit tests.
>
> Interesting, that's a pretty decent idea.
>
> Do you reckon that could be made to work with Jenkins, and hopefully hooked
> into GitHub's automated testing for Pull Requests?
>
> Seeing some mention of things like this (not with GitHub though) from
> initial searching:
>
>   http://www.johnhamelink.com/testing-nodejs-with-jenkins
>
> It's fairly obvious proper (automatic) unit testing is the way to go for
> longer term good results. :)
>
> If it can be made to work in with GitHub's automatic testing of pull
> requests, that would be even better.  Not a deal breaker if it's not,
> I'm just kind of hoping/wishing. :)
>
> Any idea?
>
> + Justin
>
> > --Aaron Hill
>
> --
> Open Source and Standards @ Red Hat
>
> twitter.com/realjustinclift
>
>

Re: [browserquest] Unit Testing,

From:
Justin Clift
Date:
2013-06-23 @ 16:59
On 23/06/2013, at 11:54 AM, Aaron Hill wrote:
> Jenkins is able to use Github's service hooks, and I've seen several 
plugins to allow it to test pull requests,
> However, I think that Travis CI might be a better choice. It comes with 
out of the box support for tesing pull requests, among other features, and
has the advantage of being hosted. 

You're right.  Travis CI seems to be the better thing, and it
turns out I've been using it already (very minorly, as an end user
on another GitHub project).

So yeah, happy to go with that idea too. :)

+ Justin

--
Open Source and Standards @ Red Hat

twitter.com/realjustinclift

Re: [browserquest] Unit Testing,

From:
Aaron Hill
Date:
2013-06-23 @ 17:26
Okay, sounds good! Should I start working on some Mocha unit tests?


On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 12:59 PM, Justin Clift <jclift@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 23/06/2013, at 11:54 AM, Aaron Hill wrote:
> > Jenkins is able to use Github's service hooks, and I've seen several
> plugins to allow it to test pull requests,
> > However, I think that Travis CI might be a better choice. It comes with
> out of the box support for tesing pull requests, among other features, and
> has the advantage of being hosted.
>
> You're right.  Travis CI seems to be the better thing, and it
> turns out I've been using it already (very minorly, as an end user
> on another GitHub project).
>
> So yeah, happy to go with that idea too. :)
>
> + Justin
>
> --
> Open Source and Standards @ Red Hat
>
> twitter.com/realjustinclift
>
>

Re: [browserquest] Unit Testing,

From:
Justin Clift
Date:
2013-06-24 @ 02:16
On 23/06/2013, at 6:26 PM, Aaron Hill wrote:
> Okay, sounds good! Should I start working on some Mocha unit tests?

Definitely.  This area of stuff is something I don't know much about
(a weakness I will fix at some point), so you're definitely "the lead"
on this. :)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--
Open Source and Standards @ Red Hat

twitter.com/realjustinclift