librelist archives

« back to archive

The Vision

The Vision

From:
William Bowers
Date:
2012-09-20 @ 23:47
At some point in the near future I think it would be worth while discussing
the short, medium and long term visions for BrowserQuest. For example:

   - How far do we want to take this? Story? Economy? More complex battle
   and equipment system? Skills/upgrades system?
   - Depending on the vision, we might want a name change to something that
   doesn't scream "PROOF OF CONCEPT". At the very least a codename for the
   endeavor.

In other words, do we want to make this an actual game in the long term, or
are we maintaining the original vision of using this as a showcase of what
HTML5 can do, and furthering that? If we maintain the original goal, things
like some more innovative service integration (facebook for
statuses/friends/parties/chat, instagram for screenshots, dropbox for
saves, etc) could be a good start.

-- 
-William

Re: [browserquest] The Vision

From:
Brynn
Date:
2012-09-20 @ 23:51
Seems like having a fun game that others can modify as they please
would be a good goal. If we achieve that, it will showcase itself. I
think we should add features in a modular fashion so they can be
removed or expanded upon easily as others like. If a particular
version of the game becomes very popular, it can be branched off and
marketed however the developers of the branch would like.

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 4:47 PM, William Bowers
<william.bowers@gmail.com> wrote:
> At some point in the near future I think it would be worth while discussing
> the short, medium and long term visions for BrowserQuest. For example:
>
> How far do we want to take this? Story? Economy? More complex battle and
> equipment system? Skills/upgrades system?
> Depending on the vision, we might want a name change to something that
> doesn't scream "PROOF OF CONCEPT". At the very least a codename for the
> endeavor.
>
> In other words, do we want to make this an actual game in the long term, or
> are we maintaining the original vision of using this as a showcase of what
> HTML5 can do, and furthering that? If we maintain the original goal, things
> like some more innovative service integration (facebook for
> statuses/friends/parties/chat, instagram for screenshots, dropbox for saves,
> etc) could be a good start.
>
> --
> -William

Re: [browserquest] The Vision

From:
Justin Clift
Date:
2012-09-21 @ 00:15
On 21/09/2012, at 9:51 AM, Brynn wrote:
> Seems like having a fun game that others can modify as they please
> would be a good goal. If we achieve that, it will showcase itself. I
> think we should add features in a modular fashion so they can be
> removed or expanded upon easily as others like. If a particular
> version of the game becomes very popular, it can be branched off and
> marketed however the developers of the branch would like.

That's an interesting idea.  If we try and make the features self-contained/
modular, people might be able to swap them in/out fairly easily.

+ Justin

--
Aeolus Community Manager
http://www.aeolusproject.org

Re: [browserquest] The Vision

From:
William Bowers
Date:
2012-09-21 @ 00:17
If anyone finds the previous references to "creating a mailing list" inside
a mailing list weird, that's because this is a repost of a previous
conversation that occurred before the mailing list existed. Transparency
FTW.

/end repost

Re: [browserquest] The Vision

From:
William Bowers
Date:
2012-09-20 @ 23:53
Sort of like we're doing :P

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 4:51 PM, Brynn <brynnbateman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Seems like having a fun game that others can modify as they please
> would be a good goal. If we achieve that, it will showcase itself. I
> think we should add features in a modular fashion so they can be
> removed or expanded upon easily as others like. If a particular
> version of the game becomes very popular, it can be branched off and
> marketed however the developers of the branch would like.
>
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 4:47 PM, William Bowers
> <william.bowers@gmail.com> wrote:
> > At some point in the near future I think it would be worth while
> discussing
> > the short, medium and long term visions for BrowserQuest. For example:
> >
> > How far do we want to take this? Story? Economy? More complex battle and
> > equipment system? Skills/upgrades system?
> > Depending on the vision, we might want a name change to something that
> > doesn't scream "PROOF OF CONCEPT". At the very least a codename for the
> > endeavor.
> >
> > In other words, do we want to make this an actual game in the long term,
> or
> > are we maintaining the original vision of using this as a showcase of
> what
> > HTML5 can do, and furthering that? If we maintain the original goal,
> things
> > like some more innovative service integration (facebook for
> > statuses/friends/parties/chat, instagram for screenshots, dropbox for
> saves,
> > etc) could be a good start.
> >
> > --
> > -William
>



-- 
-William

Re: The Vision

From:
Justin Clift
Date:
2012-09-21 @ 00:08
On 21/09/2012, at 9:47 AM, William Bowers wrote:
> At some point in the near future I think it would worth while discussing
the short, medium and long term visions for BrowserQuest. For example:
> 	• How far do we want to take this? Story? Economy? More complex battle 
and equipment system? Skills/upgrades system?

Good point.  I guess I really just want it to be a good, fun,
online "old school" (low-fi?) type RPG, that people can sink
a couple of hours into whenever they're in a mood to. ;)

So:

* more complex battle and equipment system?  Hell yeah. :)

* Skills/upgrades system?  Check.

* Enemies with some behaviour other than "run at you
  in a straight line".  Yep.

* Story?  Hmmm, I'm not really sure.  It's a not an
  important thing for me, but other people might have
  strong preferences and good ideas about it.

Something else which I'd like:

* Get rid of the border/change area transitions, so the
  character is generally centered in the screen.  The
  area transition style of moving around annoys the heck
  out of me. ;)

Note though, a lot of the above probably comes from me
having put way too many hours into the (not open source :<)
game called "Realm of the Mad God".

 http://www.realmofthemadgod.com

That one's very addictive, but it's flash, suffers
horribly from bugs and latency issues sometimes, and the
dev's for it don't give a shit (grrr) when serious
problems are reported. :(

To me BrowserQuest looks like an opportunity to do it
better.  And it would be awesome to have a really in
depth user/developer Community around it, creating
content, making it better, and so on.

> 	• Depending on the vision, we might want a name change to something 
that doesn't scream "PROOF OF CONCEPT". At the very least a codename for 
the endeavor.

Heh.  In the short term, there's brand awareness for
"BrowserQuest", but in medium/long term yeah,
interesting idea.  I don't really have a solid idea
here, but am not against better naming. ;)


> In other words, do we want to make this an actual game in the long term

My point of view is that'd be cool. :)


> or are we maintaining the original vision of using
> this as a showcase of what HTML5 can do, and furthering
> that?

Meh, boring. :/


> If we maintain the original goal, things like some more innovative 
service integration (facebook for statuses/friends/parties/chat, instagram
for screenshots, dropbox for saves, etc) could be a good start.

Heh, some of those might make for good ideas even
if this gets turned into a decent game people can
play. ;)

What're your thoughts on all the above?

+ Justin

--
Aeolus Community Manager
http://www.aeolusproject.org

Re: [browserquest] Re: The Vision

From:
Brynn
Date:
2012-09-21 @ 00:10
I agree with eliminating the border/screen transitions and just
keeping the player centered on the screen. The transitions are cool in
a retro sort of way but are just kind of annoying in practice.
Everything else you guys say also sounds great.

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 5:08 PM, Justin Clift <jclift@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 21/09/2012, at 9:47 AM, William Bowers wrote:
>> At some point in the near future I think it would worth while 
discussing the short, medium and long term visions for BrowserQuest. For 
example:
>>       • How far do we want to take this? Story? Economy? More complex 
battle and equipment system? Skills/upgrades system?
>
> Good point.  I guess I really just want it to be a good, fun,
> online "old school" (low-fi?) type RPG, that people can sink
> a couple of hours into whenever they're in a mood to. ;)
>
> So:
>
> * more complex battle and equipment system?  Hell yeah. :)
>
> * Skills/upgrades system?  Check.
>
> * Enemies with some behaviour other than "run at you
>   in a straight line".  Yep.
>
> * Story?  Hmmm, I'm not really sure.  It's a not an
>   important thing for me, but other people might have
>   strong preferences and good ideas about it.
>
> Something else which I'd like:
>
> * Get rid of the border/change area transitions, so the
>   character is generally centered in the screen.  The
>   area transition style of moving around annoys the heck
>   out of me. ;)
>
> Note though, a lot of the above probably comes from me
> having put way too many hours into the (not open source :<)
> game called "Realm of the Mad God".
>
>  http://www.realmofthemadgod.com
>
> That one's very addictive, but it's flash, suffers
> horribly from bugs and latency issues sometimes, and the
> dev's for it don't give a shit (grrr) when serious
> problems are reported. :(
>
> To me BrowserQuest looks like an opportunity to do it
> better.  And it would be awesome to have a really in
> depth user/developer Community around it, creating
> content, making it better, and so on.
>
>>       • Depending on the vision, we might want a name change to 
something that doesn't scream "PROOF OF CONCEPT". At the very least a 
codename for the endeavor.
>
> Heh.  In the short term, there's brand awareness for
> "BrowserQuest", but in medium/long term yeah,
> interesting idea.  I don't really have a solid idea
> here, but am not against better naming. ;)
>
>
>> In other words, do we want to make this an actual game in the long term
>
> My point of view is that'd be cool. :)
>
>
>> or are we maintaining the original vision of using
>> this as a showcase of what HTML5 can do, and furthering
>> that?
>
> Meh, boring. :/
>
>
>> If we maintain the original goal, things like some more innovative 
service integration (facebook for statuses/friends/parties/chat, instagram
for screenshots, dropbox for saves, etc) could be a good start.
>
> Heh, some of those might make for good ideas even
> if this gets turned into a decent game people can
> play. ;)
>
> What're your thoughts on all the above?
>
> + Justin
>
> --
> Aeolus Community Manager
> http://www.aeolusproject.org
>

Re: [browserquest] Re: The Vision

From:
William Bowers
Date:
2012-09-21 @ 00:14
Yes, yes and more yes. I think we're on the same page. I'm a fan of old
school RPGs and I've put a few hours into Realm of the Mad God myself ;)


1. Mailing list

Yea, that'd probably be a good idea. If github doesn't have support for
that, might I suggest a google group?


2. Better AI

Definitely an important one. I've always said that the two most important
aspects of an RPG are story and the battle system, and I think the battle
system is the most important.


3. Story

Story is something that would take an extremely large investment in time
and resources. I also have no experience with writing a game story, and
especially not for an MMO. We can definitely table this for now.

If we wanted to have SOME story, a BACKstory might do. Just some plausible
tale that puts the player into the game, then let it be emergent from there
(think Minecraft...only with a backstory :P).


4. Transitions

I'm with you on transitions. They are annoying and were only necessary back
in the day due to memory constraints. I don't think we have those problems
anymore.

I even think we could make loading in caves seamless. If you walk north
into a cave, animate the outside map down and out, and the cave map down
and in, on top of it as the player moves from one to the other.


5. Realm of the Mad God

I'm not quite sure this is built to be a SHMUP, but something close could
work where you're taking on potentially many enemies at once. That requires
more free-form combat (as opposed to the point-and-click as it is now).
It's possible we might end up completely revamping navigation to be
free-form and not grid-based. Who knows.


6. Community

I love the idea of an open-source, community-driven Realm of the Mad God
competitor. LOVE IT.


7. Plugins

For some reason the thought of putting plugin-handling functionality into
piece of software makes me happy.


8. Actual game vs. Tech demo

My heart lies with actual games too.


9. BrowserQuest brand awareness

Point well made.


10. Service integration

In a real game? Yes please.